Monday, August 8, 2011

Because of Love

Yesterday, I had the opportunity to take one of my wife's family home from church because they weren't feeling well. If you are married, you likely have in-laws. Some of these in-laws may not be like folks you would normally hang with given the choice. However, since you married into the family, you have no choice. I feel this way about some of my in-laws and know Charity feels likewise about some of my family. However, I love my wife dearly and for that reason, I make nice with her crazy family (as she has with mine).

This made me think about my relationship with Jesus Christ and His church. Like any family, the church family has some folks we'd just as soon keep up in the attic away from public view. If you don't have folks like this, you go to a very, very, small church or not to church at all (or you are willfully blind). Also, if you're like me, you really wish these folks would go far, far away. However, because you love Jesus you embrace his family. That doesn't mean you agree with them on everything but it does mean you loves them and do not treat them with disdain.

The fact is, the body of Christ is large and diverse. Not everyone is going to agree on everything and that's okay. What isn't okay is becoming insular and rejecting those aren't just like us. If we truly are the bride of Christ, we will embrace His family and learn to live with the quirks because of love. Easier said than done but give it a whack.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment