Tuesday, February 19, 2013

The Word Becomes Life

I've been in church my entire life. I grew up in Pentecost and was able to sleep 1) through the loudest of services and 2) under a pew without dancing folks stepping on my head. I have seen and heard it all. One thing I'd heard over and over again was that you could read the Bible and each time you read a passage, something new would speak to you. Candidly, I thought this was a fair amount of hype. How can you read the same words over and over again and get anything but the same result? It turns out you can.

This past Sunday evening, we watched Pastor Glenn Massey's sermon from Because of The Times. If you haven't heard it, you really must. It's incredible to hear his personal story and the application in real life. The gist of his message was that radical faith produces radical results. Oddly, in my Bible reading yesterday, I had this particular passage from Luke 11.

5Then, teaching them more about prayer, he used this story:“Suppose you went to a friend’s house at midnight, wanting to borrow three loaves of bread. You say to him, 6‘A friend of mine has just arrived for a visit, and I have nothing for him to eat.’ 7And suppose he calls out from his bedroom, ‘Don’t bother me. The door is locked for the night, and my family and I are all in bed. I can’t help you.’ 8But I tell you this—though he won’t do it for friendship’s sake, if you keep knocking long enough, he will get up and give you whatever you need because of your shameless persistence.

I love the term "shameless persistence". It projects a radical desire to see something accomplished. I fear I am guilty often of "mildly requesting" which may be polite but doesn't move heaven. Though I had had read that passage multiple times, this time, it came alive to me. It was as though I had seen the words with fresh set of eyes. The Word did indeed become life.

Let me add one more note before I end this post. Over the last year or so, Bible reading has become a radical habit with me. I'm active and travel a fair amount but the advent of many apps for my phone and tablet make it possible to read the scriptures anywhere. My personal favorite is YouVersion but I encourage you to find something that works for you and stick with it. Make personal Bible reading a habit and it will bring life to your day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment